Aims and Learning Outcomes
- To introduce the historical background behind current approaches and attitudes to disability.
- To outline the social model of disability as the preferred model of support for disabled students.
- To describe definitions, classification systems and terminology in relation to disability.
- To identify sources of statistical data on disabled people in the UK.
- To introduce support systems in higher education institutions.
At the end of this module you will be able to:
- Identify three examples of media stereotypes that have been used to portray disability.
- Devise a set of questions that identify institutional support for disabled students using the social model of disability.
- Use the correct terminology when communicating about disabled students.
- Find figures on the number of disabled students in the HE population.
- Collect information about sources of help for disabled students within your own institution.