Repetitive Strain Injury (RSI)
A list of links to useful information about RSI, originally collated for International RSI Awareness Day 2001 and 2002, including links to support groups and articles on causes and treatment of RSI and similar conditions, plus lists of manufacturers of ergonomic equipment.
- The RSI-UK Mailing List
- a lively discussion list populated by knowledgeable and compassionate people.
- The RSI Association
- Information Pack
- Newsletters to members
- The Typing Injury FAQ
- often quoted resource.
- general info, lots of articles.
- info on ergonomics, equipment, furniture + software (speech recognition, etc).
- Computer Related Repetitive Strain Injury
- This excellent page includes some very useful tips and information, e.g. pictures showing how wrists and forearms should be held while typing.
- Computers can be a real pain
- advice for kids.
- Repetitive Strain Injuries - The Hidden Cost of Computing
- This article at WebReference.com is a good introduction to the topic.
- Easy 5 minute stretches that you can do at your desk.
- Also publishes a book (Stretching, by Bob Anderson) and a computer program, StretchWare, which shows exercises on screen.
- RSI Exercises
- Yoga-based exercises for the office to help prevent carpal tunnel and repetitive stress injuries.
Ergonomics and Posture
- Chairs, Posture and the Alexander Technique
- Article at Bodyzone.com which gives this advice: "don't look to a chair as the primary solution to poor posture".
- Safe Office Practice
- This website helps you diagnose the problem and provides a step by step guide on how to set up your workstation and office correctly.
- CUErgo - Cornell University Ergonomics Web.
- Ergonomic Guidelines for arranging a Computer Workstation - 10 steps for users.
- Office Ergo
- Office ergonomics information, factsheets for training.
- a UK Charity which helps people manage and prevent back pain by providing advice, promoting self help, encouraging debate and funding scientific research into better back care.
- This site contains a number of useful articles:
- Ergonomics and back pain in the workplace.
- Reducing back pain while sitting
- an ergonomic software package available for the prevention and management of Repetitive Strain Injuries.
Hardware / Equipment
- Osmond Group
- Suppliers of ergonomic office furniture solutions. Great range of products, including arm and wrist supports, laptop stands, monitor visors, posture aids...
- Southampton company supplying 'Tools for the Computer-Enabled', keyboards, mice, etc.
- Teen inventor creates 'mouse mitt'
- (16 October 2002) BBC News reports: "A schoolboy from south Wales has invented a device to allow sufferers of repetitive strain injury to use a computer mouse." Looks promising.
- Keyboard Kraziness & Mouse Madness: A Week of Wacky Input Devices
- (21 April 2003) Extremetech.com explorers and tests alternative input devices such as the vertical keyboard or the DataHand System.